AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me why we need to till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 4/11/2010 06:24 (#1157954 - in reply to #1157905)
Subject: Re: Tell me why we need to till

Aberdeen MS
Simple, because "here" it isn't a thing of the concept working or not working etc etc etc.

There is an economic advantage to do "some" tillage over direct seeding/planting. That's it.

Put the 2 programs side by side and steel in the ground of some sort makes more money "here", period, end of story. My farm is my means of getting a return on my dollar. I want to make the most return on dollar invested as I can. While at the same time doing the best I can to protect and take care of the resources I use to make that return.

Some years it's as wash but when looking at the long term with genetics available and what the soil is capable of producing "here", the long term risk is least with doing some tillage.

The nature of swamp and marsh ground does not allow a 50/25/25 percent blend of soil/air/water for corn, beans, and wheat production. Air is short unless allowed into the ground by some artificial means, and that is tillage. That is the nature of soils for "me" "here". The crops we grow are not native to this area, so we have to adapt the soil to grow them.

For the same reason fertilizer is applied, that being, up to a point, you can make more money by putting "some" down for the crop than not putting any down at all. The right blend and the right amount is key to maximum return. Same for tillage.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)