AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me why we need to till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 4/11/2010 01:50 (#1157905)
Subject: Tell me why we need to till

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!

Posted this on another board, don't take it the wrong way....Just driven crazy by not knowing the answers.

BUT, BUT, BUT, WE CAN"T NO TILL HERE!!!

I hear this often, on many of my regular websites, especially in the states, accompanied by pictures of absolutely pulverised soil, using machines like soil finishers and salford whatchamacallits, krone doodleboppers, wishek such and suches, and any number of trash buriers and soil mashers. 
:-/  I don't even know why or what they are used for, let alone ever heard about or seen.

These pictures sometimes have soil that is crusting, will crust, or about to erode if a gopher sneezes in the adjacent section, because there is no residue left, no structure to speak of and no earthworms within ten miles. And then the guys often wonder why the rains don't infiltrate, etc, etc.Then comes the its "TOO WET HERE" which becomes their latest anti-no-till cry.

So, keeping an open mind, I would love for guys to tell me why they can't no-til, but yet have so many dollars an acre to budget, in order to pulverize and compact the soil, wrecking structure, earthworm populations, and the balance of nature,with disky thingy's, plowy thingys etc. etc. A Soil who's history of which it was never bare, or disturbed by anything other than bison, moose, elk, or Paul Bunyan.
I mean this in the nicest way, and I do enjoy the pictures, of doohicky's and such, but when I hear, "We can't no-til here, someone tried it ONCE", or "a neighbor gave it a whirl in 1989, didn't work" it drives me insane, because EVERYONE used to say that about us where we are from, our soils would be too cold, our rainfall is too high, we grow too much residue, it just don't work, so don't try it.... Guess what, I know of nearly no-one who tills any more in this "it won't work here", region etc.

Just trying to learn, and promote healthy soil, and a healthy discussion.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)