AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble 332 XP - NMEA to GS2 Problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

aglasergps
Posted 3/10/2010 01:21 (#1113345 - in reply to #1113332)
Subject: Re: Trimble 332 XP - NMEA to GS2 Problems

Brisbane, Australia
I hope this is not a reason for your problem but it may very well be. Like you, we tried to get the NMEA from a Trimble RTK FMX Autopilot into the console in a new 4730 spray Tractor to use specifically for auto boom shut off control. It just didn't work. As usual, Deere blamed our gear and we blamed theirs...............fun, isn't it. Normally I'd put an Ez-Boom in but I suggested to this guy that he use the Deere system for boom control as the screen and software was all there and it would be one less bit of clutter in the cab. Sounded simple enough - good customer - try to do the right thing for him.

After 2 frustrating days we discovered that the Deere software doesn't recognise a NMEA string from an external Trimble RTK receiver. I have the local Beeline tech to thank for putting us onto it as he had issues as well and thought it was only the Beeline GPS that was the reason his attempt at the same thing didn't work.

It seems that some receivers place a specific number on the end of the NMEA data string so that the system receiving that data knows what level of GPS accuracy is generating these strings - the Deere software simply doesn't recognise this number at the end of the string - we found out that it only recognises a DGPS string. Most probably the XP string has a number that the Deere software doesn't recognise either!

...Deere's isolationist way of doing things.................................

We ended up using an Ez-Boom instead and it turned out to be cheaper anyway by over $1000 (and works fine).

Edited by aglasergps 3/10/2010 01:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)