AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

high yielding soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 3/4/2010 19:52 (#1105150 - in reply to #1105114)
Subject: Re: high yielding soybeans

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but one can't say I'll never plant anything new ever again because you got burned one time. There are no guarantees in farming. But I will put the odds on my side.I get burned more planting older varieties to long.
One thing most don't know is that some new varieties maybe have similar parents of the line they are replacing. So they are not reinventing the wheel so to speak just tweeking what they have.So if you are happy with a specific line and you get a tweeked version (called sister lines)its pretty safe to say it isn't gona bomb.
I feel comfortable planting new lines because the odds are if they make it to the SA increase they have already past the test proving they are better than whats already in the lineup. Out of a million lines only 30 to 50 might make the grade.
Remember its just not yield thats being improved but agronomics also. Just look at how IDC tolerance has improved over the last 15 yrs. Used to see alot of yellow fields in SW MN, now you rarely see any. Years ago one had very few cyst lines WITH GOOD IDC, now there are very few lines without cyst resistance and IDC.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)