AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicide/insecticide use this year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 3/4/2010 08:53 (#1104470 - in reply to #1104318)
Subject: Re: Fungicide/insecticide use this year

Ron, I always miss the pancakes - I think I was still trying to make a rather ugly, but cheaper than $800 powerhead for a bin auger. One of my neighbors was there and also reported that "you missed it".

Frankly, my own trials for fungicide don't show much response, but in a more wide spread trial in my area the beans made about 6bpa more. It's got my attention. One thing I'm considering is that most of my ground is not drained so well and the longer wetness is probably adding to disease stress on my crops. In corn it appears that I've gained 20bpa acre in a typically wet 40 while the one well drained 40 I farm didn't change much. It looks like there are probably fewer places that I don't need fungicides on vs. needing fungicides.

This year I went to a hagie sprayer and might just leave the booms at 60' (unless I feel $4000 burning a hole in my pocket), so I'm a little more comfortable leaving a some untreated strips. However, I really think I need to be treating more acres with an insecticide/fungicide mix to move my yields more towards the 60's (I've had one year with a near 60bpa average, last year was 54, with one field going 67-early pioneer beans).

At this point it looks like it's worth a try .

thanks,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)