AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of ketones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 2/27/2024 13:40 (#10642120 - in reply to #10641869)
Subject: RE: Kidney matters with Dr David Unwin

Southwestern Minnesota
My dietitian's opinion on the Carnivore Diet is that it is very lacking in the macro and micro nutrients that would be found in fruit, vegetables and whole grains. (eg beef does not have much for Vit C, whereas oranges and broccoli do). It is also very lacking in fiber- which could be a concern for constipation and possible colon cancer. It could also be a concern for gout since some meats are very high in purines and can cause high levels of uric acid in the blood.
As far as the issue of saturated fats and it's effect on LDL's with heart disease, I would not be as concerned with that point. At this time, that is considered to be outdated information. Unfortunately the diet-heart connection has been a contentious issue for many years and especially as it relates to the Dietary Guidelines and US policy. Due to bias, special interest groups, money, etc, even though the current research is not supportive of the role of saturated fat in heart disease, it is still a part of US policy with the Dietary Guidelines. If you are interested in the history of this particular point related to the Dietary Guidelines and saturated fat, there is a good synopsis of this from the National Institute of Health/National Library of Medicine/National Center for Biotechnology. I find this to be a good site to reference the most recent literature on these types of topics. I'll include a link to that here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9794145/
That would be my dietitian opinion on this diet.

Edited by RDinMN 2/27/2024 18:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)