AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of ketones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/26/2024 05:51 (#10640201 - in reply to #10640131)
Subject: RE: Value of ketones

Pittsburg, Kansas
Thanks for that explanation. I think that result kind of matches up with Unwin's in that a few of his patients did have slightly lower kidney function which he expected in the aged population. But in surprise the vast majority improved. Fortunately he happened to have the data in such a way to be able to analyze it.

We are not supposed to get better kidney function as we become several years older. Yet most of his patients following a low carb protocol did.

That is pretty encouraging in my book. Rather than the diet being a detriment, for his patient population it appears to be a benefit.

His was on an actual patient population over several years.

One problem with many studies is their short time span. It takes a minimum of several weeks to become fat adapted on a ketogenic diet and I think it took me around 6 months before I became fully fat adapted. A study a month or two will only catch part of the time the diet has a chance to be of benefit. Or a longer study that is only able to show correlation rather than causation yet the headlines imply causation.

Edited by John Burns 2/26/2024 05:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)