AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pretty strong land sale for Southern Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 2/1/2024 09:32 (#10603412 - in reply to #10603004)
Subject: RE: Pretty strong land sale for Southern Iowa

EC Nebraska
Clay SEIA - 1/31/2024 23:41

NE Ridger - 1/31/2024 13:58
BlackCattle - 1/31/2024 13:26 $250-$300, maybe find a BTO to go higher
The lower priced tract doesn't sound like too bad of a price if you can get $250 rent for it. Edit: I looked over the pictures again. It now looks like a high enough price :)

FWIW. the highest NASS county average corn yield there in the last ten years is 163.   I know those soil types, I farm them too, and I farm in the same weather patterns.  For a farm in that area with those soil types to really beat averages, Edina and Haig soils really should have tile at 30 foot or in some cases even less spacing.

The auction brochure says "natural drainage, but with some tile terraces."   Most likely, that means terraces built to NRCS specs- which also means that you're going to lose half an acre of crop around each of those tile intakes when a 5" rain happens. 

Yeah, but $8K for that kind of ground doesn't seem quite as bad as $14K for our ground out here, especially with Nebraska land taxes and the irrigation expense it takes to reliably get 240/bpa here.

There was a dryland 80 here that probably has 10 year APH around 170 bpa that sold last spring for $9,900/acre. Consider the land taxes, and that terraced Iowa ground doesn't seem high.

Not that I'm interested in any of it at those prices.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)