AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prevented Planting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 5/9/2022 15:08 (#9654027 - in reply to #9652385)
Subject: RE: Prevented Planting

NW Missouri
Like others have said, it comes down to if the issue is widespread or not. The rules say it must have similarly affected other producers in the area. Not necessarily all producers, but some. If you are the only one that claims PP, I'm guessing you'd need a good reason - a spot shower that you got that no one else did, or the fact that your farm is down in a bowl or something, etc. If several others have claimed it, then there should be no problem.

I think if you can physically get it planted before the final plant date, you should (except for drought). But if it's too wet until after the final plant date, at that point there should be no shame in taking PP - that's why you buy crop insurance. I have taken PP twice - and I genuinely tried to plant the crop by the deadline both times (gas was on, seed was on hand). One of those times, we had one small window in early June where it got dry enough to plant. I decided to go ahead and plant late, but I couldn't get everything planted during that window, so I planted the better ground and took PP on the thinner ground. I should've taken PP on it all. Had poor yields and wet corn on what I did get planted.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)