AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Covid question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Doug61
Posted 10/16/2021 23:20 (#9272942 - in reply to #9272825)
Subject: RE: Best explanation yet.

Eastern NE KS
PS. If you disagree with my comment about “unless we all get vaccinated, none of us are vaccinated,” please explain why your coworker not getting vaccinated puts you at risk.
End quote

I don't disagree, necessarily. I just fail to understand your point.

I'm vaccinated and I may be currently immune BUT my immunity may fade over time.

A animal model I'm familiar with is this:
I vaccinate young calves 2-3 times in their 1st year to develop a group level of immunity of about 95-99.9% on the group. Specific individuals are, for a period of time, immune to the disease causing virus or bacteria OR not. The small number of calves that fail to develop immunity are still susceptible to the infection and may develop disease. Depending on the microbe, calves that are initially immune become susceptible to the microbe over a period of time. To manage this problem, the group will be vaccinated on a schedule. Depending on the microbe certain immunity may last a lifetime (certain Blackleg causing microbes), last about a year, or even shorter timeframes. The extreme case is leptospirosis. For this disease I vaccinate my cows every spring and fall.

In short, my vaccination act provides an antigen directly or indirectly to my animals with the intention to produce a level of immunity across the treated group. Repeated vaccination 'acts' may be needed to achieve herd immunity for a period of time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)