AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Covid question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 10/16/2021 22:37 (#9272909 - in reply to #9272825)
Subject: RE: Best explanation yet.

EC Nebraska
Illfarmr2 - 10/16/2021 21:54

If I understand what you are saying, these products were over hyped and oversold. I believe that. If they had been more up front in the beginning about they were a step on the path to controlling Covid, I think more people would understand.

I wish there had been a lot more emphasis that we were learning as we went. For me, it was always obvious.
I don't know why that wasn't obvious to more people. But it wasn't.
Very few people seem to remember how the "traditional" vaccines work. And no one remembers how long it took to eliminate the threat of existing diseases, back when those vaccines were first introduced. People who want to understand will. But that's fewer people than I used to think.

My biggest point is that all the current childhood vaccines require multiple shots over significant time to work. These new ones probably will need similar protocols. That doesn't make them not vaccines.

Illfarmr2 - 10/16/2021 21:54

But that’s not how they were presented. And now, the idea that unless we are all vaccinated, none of us are vaccinated seems to permeate a lot of what I’m hearing from people. And that’s NOT how traditional vaccines work.

PS. If you disagree with my comment about “unless we all get vaccinated, none of us are vaccinated,” please explain why your coworker not getting vaccinated puts you at risk. Thanks.

That phrase is just as trite and meaningless as any of the cute memes that get passed around on every complex topic.

I don't know how it's being used. If it means that we can't eliminate the threat of the disease until almost everybody is vaccinated, that's more or less true, and it IS how the traditional vaccines worked. It took a great deal of time and a high level of vaccination to eliminate measles or polio from the population. Like I said, the majority of vaccines don't prevent you from spreading the virus. They just protect you from symptoms. And that doesn't do any good for people with compromised or weak immune systems. And it doesn't keep the hospitals from being overloaded in a situation like this, when a novel virus that nobody has seen before shows up.

If it means that the vaccines don't do anyone any good until everybody is vaccinated, well, that's wrong too. They do a lot of good for anyone with a fully functioning immune system, regardless of their coworker's status. But that's not everybody.

I'm going to repeat this, in case I just haven't communicated it well: By the standards of the "traditional" vaccines, most of us aren't fully vaccinated yet. Those vaccines all take at least three, and some more, shots to get to "full immunity" (the immunity levels that we expect from a vaccine)
It was a mistake to market these as "super-vaccines." But just because they aren't "super", doesn't mean they aren't regular vaccines.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)