AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missing contract weight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jfqc
Posted 5/28/2021 06:53 (#9029132)
Subject: Missing contract weight

se montana
I sold my yearling steers this week and mis guessed the weight by 96 lbs. this was a drought sale, as they usually stay here till august.

I’ve never sold this time of year, so I was really blindsided. They were heavy.

Verbal deal, nothing on writing. Buyer wrote me the check, hauled them 200 miles to feed yard , then called me to ask for a price adjustment or they were gonna get hauled home.

There was an 8ct slide already put on them for those 96 lbs.

I gave a price adjustment because I don’t have grass to bring them home, and this order buyer lives in my community and is trying to raise a family just like me. I don’t like to burn bridges. On the other hand, I know many many ranchers that would’ve cashed the check, and told him to stick it, see you in court type of attitude.

Got my wheels turning. How many times do ranchers get price adjustments when cattle fall 100 lbs short of contracted weight? Happened to me a few times, and I didn’t have any protection whatsoever. A lot of neighbors fell 50-100 lbs short last fall and there were no adjustments.

I know a lot of feeders read this forum, and I consider you online friends, so flame away if you must, but I just wonder if I should’ve handled it differently. Buyers and feeders get several chances/dealings throughout the year to grab a paycheck, and I get one.

Btw this is the second time this has happened with same buyer, and I gave a price adjustment last time as well. He didn’t look at the cattle before the sale either time.

Edited by jfqc 5/28/2021 06:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)