AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle waterer 101 needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 2/16/2021 20:31 (#8837934 - in reply to #8836653)
Subject: RE: Cattle waterer 101 needed

East of Broken Bow
Had a Ritchie waterer, that was about worn out, when the underground wire going to it went bad. Redoing the wire, would have cost more than a new waterer, which I needed anyway. Replaced it with a Cobett, and have zero regrets. I will say, I know of a few other Cobetts around, and unless you are only watering a couple animals, go with the big one. The big one, is large enough to put in a fenceline, and water 2 pens, with one waterer.
The only downside, is you do need to check it daily in cold weather, and maybe break ice. I only had to break ice 3 times all winter so far, with around 40 calves drinking from it, and 2 of those were after record breaking cold nights.

Really, I don't think you'd go wrong with either. The advantage to the Cobett, is that it does not take any power to keep from freezing. The advantage of the Ritchie, is that it keeps itself thawed, you don't need to crack the ice.
I'd say that the bigger Cobett, has about the same water capacity as the double sided Ritchie.
One thing I did like about the Ritchie I had, was if you had cattle only drinking from one side, it had a lid you could shut, to help hold in heat. It made a notable difference, at times when it was cold, and there were only a few head drinking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)