AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford 6.0 Diesel - Good, Bad, Ugly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 6/12/2019 22:15 (#7555981 - in reply to #7555881)
Subject: RE: Ford 6.0 Diesel - Good, Bad, Ugly?

Southern Pa.
farmn4nutn - 6/12/2019 22:37

I have 1. 04 f350 with 264000 miles. Used everyday. It hasn't been trouble free, but the post above is being dramatic. They can be bulletproofed. Mine has been studded, deleted, and had the injectors and fuel pump replaced, along with a turbo under warranty. In my opinion, $11000 is too high for it. It should be around $8000 for the age and never having a bp job done, but I haven't seen it. It will cost prolly cost you $5000 when it starts shoving coolant out. I got my bp job done for $3250, but that was several years ago, and was real reasonable. And...it will need studs and gaskets. They all always do eventually. By the way, mine is chipped, and has been for almost 200,000 miles, but I'm not prolly considered a kid!

While hg6dtom does like to hate on Ford pickups, I'm afraid he's mostly right about the bulletproofing. You got lucky with yours, some others have too, but there are lots of folks who have sunk 5 to 10k in those engines only to have repeat failures. My son works at a Diesel shop that has bulletproofed scores of these engines. Some go a long time, many don't. I work there too at times if they're covered up, and I have a few spare moments. They are proficient with 6.0s, and stand behind their work. But you can never really say a 6.0 is bulletproof.

The market tells the tale.

I wouldn't recommend owning one unless you are good with wrenches and knew a 6.0L from one end to the other.

Edited by JD 9400 6/13/2019 05:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)