AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9500 Rasp Bar Replacement and other inspection
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TxFarmer
Posted 6/1/2009 18:58 (#729455 - in reply to #729381)
Subject: RE: 9500 Rasp Bar Replacement and other inspection

Panhandle of Texas

There are some unknowns, here, like how many sep. hrs. are on your 9500, but if you've never replaced the cylinder bars, I would say with fair certainty that it is time past time to do it . I won't go through the ways of knowing whether to replace them or not since 1.) somebody else has already done it 2.) if you've never done it before, it most likely needs it (you will probably notice a huge difference in performance after you've done this!)

I have done it both ways---with the feederhouse on, and also the feederhouse removed.  It is definitely easier to replace the cyl. bars with the feederhouse removed, but removing the feederhouse is a little bit of a pain---not too bad, but a little bit....

If you have a large corn head, you could hook your feederhouse to it, then back out (leaving the feederhouse hooked to the corn head), but I bet you don't, since it's a 9500.  Have you had the feederhouse off before?  I have removed mine a couple of different ways: 1) I used the skid steer  2) I used a cherry picker (engine hoist).  Since you're mechanically inclinded, I would suggest going on and removing the feederhouse.  By doing so, you can inspect the concave much better~

You can purchase your new bars from Deere, Shoup, Loewen, SunnyBrook, etc.  I got the chromed & heat treated bars.  I got my concave from Loewen , and my cylinder bars from Shoup. (for you, something like this:  https://www.shoupparts.com/catalog/view.cfm?bmkName=SHJD9500C&ID=5890&Type=Product&FolderID=97036)

I got the cyl. bars from Shoup (saving quite a bit of money) knowing that they would not be too hard to replace had I not liked them.  I do like them though.  I have used them for 2 milo crops & 2 wheat crops.  So far, so good !!  They come with all the hardware necessary for a change-out.  Read in your op. manual about how much to torque them.

Again, if you've never done this before, you should notice a large difference.

Edit* [especially if you take the feederhouse off] be sure to check the cams on your concave. I changed mine, even though I really didn't see much wear in the old ones.  It was just toooooo easy not to go ahead and replace them while I had it all apart (last time I did it on my JD 9600, I changed cyl. bars and concave @ the same time.  I was impressed with the improvement in performance.  The machine's performance goes away so slowly (pertaining to the wear on the concave & cyl. bars) that the operator sometimes becomes complacent and does not realize just how bad things have become until new parts are installed--and then !BANG!, it's like having a super-duper machine all over again.

BTW: how many seperator hours do you have on your concave?

Edited by TxFarmer 6/1/2009 19:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)