AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 9/23/2017 19:40 (#6265920 - in reply to #6265495)
Subject: RE: Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)

Morris, IL
Been saying for 3 years wanted to try get beans in earlier, run more hours try and get some in. Only have one planter so lot more work in april to switch planter over to do field or two of beans. Always fighting wetter field conditions both corn and beans. Have one field planted beans May 15 before 1/2 of our corn went in, they are 36x6 have looked great but not had much rain since July. We need better drainage to really do what i want which i'm working towards but a ways off.

Some of you guys are talking about beans planted in feburary, if i had a dollar for every chance fields were fit to plant in feburary i'd have buck or two, haha. March i'd say the same. Honestly i think only year recently have planted corn in mid to early april was 2012 we all know how that worked out. We didn't start corn till april 24 this year while i'm sure beans can do good planted early if you frost them they are gone so have to consider that over corn. Relative of mine was just telling me other day he planted some beans early april or march once many years ago they came up we got a frost and that was end of that. Heck we have ground that we along with basically every neighbor in area didn't turn a wheel until darn near june 1st, all corn and beans went into ground in just week window up there and if guys got into moisture it looks great, probably best ever corn up that way.

So yes Brian i think that sounds like great idea, your a ways south of me i think that helps with heat warming things up and drying out quicker. Keep your dads JD going strong on corn, then if you ever get chance to run two rigs get few beans in. Or just trade off getting corn in quicker running early and late.

I can tell you one thing you might know or not care and i know you have good reasons but planted speed went up 1.5 when we quite doing tillage. Then went down a bit when we added a second starter fertilizer system but feel that pays it's way but tillage didn't.

Edited by NEILFarmer 9/23/2017 19:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)