AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what formed my cautious attitude-the 80's-never forget!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 10/5/2014 11:02 (#4110429 - in reply to #4110028)
Subject: RE: what formed my cautious attitude-the 80's-never forget!

Beresford, SD
Great Post and comments... Grandpa always talked about 1974 (fats down $18 in 18 days) After 1974 most feeders in our area quit feeding and just grain farmed, then the high interest times of the 80's finished off a few more. There still is opportunity, just have to pick around the edges.....NEVER have load lots of calves or yearlings worked the day you bought them and never will. There is just more a stake today. The turn of cattle I have in the yard were locked in a long time ago.....will I leave a pile of cash on the table, YES. But, the profit per head is going to still be the best it has ever been and with the cool summer my weights are going to be HUGE. The next turn - trust your numbers....Mine look like a 70 cent cost of gain (ALL in ALL out with 30 bits/hd/day yardage included-as well as some decent mark up on feed to cover shrink)......some put togethers will work...but won't set any records. Understanding and using risk protection is imperative!

My wife has a sister that lives in the heart of cattle country........West of Mobridge, SD. The numbers in that area have been on the decline since the winter of 1996-97. Our Niece got married a few weeks ago in Sturgis..........Had the chance to visit with a lot of real cowboys. These guys were extremely excited about the prices and the amount of feed they have (grass galore). Everybody stated that their steers will cover yearly expenses and a record amount of heifers will be kept back..........YES the herd building has begun in SD. I believe a year from now numbers will be even tighter but 2-3 years down the road LOOK OUT!

Edited by carlsoncl 10/5/2014 11:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)