AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what formed my cautious attitude-the 80's-never forget!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 10/5/2014 06:56 (#4110028)
Subject: what formed my cautious attitude-the 80's-never forget!

western iowa,by Denison
You guys texting me can stop-I haven't gone off the deep edge-I'm still feeding cattle-
I guess I owe a apology to all the optimistic cattle men here-I have not been the most optimistic feeder lately
flashbacks to the 80's time frame of when I was a young cattlefeeder and paying the price to recover for a very longtime-feeder cattle numbers were tight-just like now-and every time you bought 20 head at the salebarn the next week they were higher-got caught up in owning cattle-had a couple neighbors that bought feeders at the high-in 1 year they were out of business-some had feed cattle for 30-50 years-one that was a good friend feed 1,000 hd a year from 1960 till the 80's
drove by his place the other day-the 2 silos and concrete is still there-his best doing cattle were his last-he did make the comment if he would have bought junk they would have hit a different market
My Dad helped me find some feeders that we loaded off Point Reyes California
They were red angus cattle-I ended up backrounding them and selling them at the Carroll,iowa cattle sale-I think that was sometime around 1994-I sold 400 head of calves that day-Farm Credit had called my bluff-interesting times
feeding on seat of my pance deal-turn around and bought 286 steer calves at the Moorhead salebarn-backrounded those for 90 days-remember writing the biggest ck of my life-(those cattle came from Lousiana)eastern cattle company
resold those cattle to Gary Ruppier from Templeton-no slide and they weighed 30# more then we both thought they would
all the while farm credit was on me to change as I was high risk loan-actually that wasn't the wording for it-remember borrowing money from my Dad at 3% more then farm credit-some notes were higher then that
started buying (gasp) heifers-not many heifers were ever feed by my Dad
also got a load of Hereford steers from a local reloacator(orderbuyer)banded steers-that dropped 1 to 2 nuts about in July 45 days away from being sold-selling bulls at Carroll Iowa at 14cts under fat market sure didn't help-thank god it was only 34 out of a 100 head
Yup -the market is different this time
buy them high and sell them higher
How do I know feeder cattle are to high-I have been lookin at feeders again 1,000 miles away!!!!!!!!
Ever notice you can look far away and the best things you have are about 1-10 miles away?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)