AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? about hauling manure on snow. Is it legal?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/19/2014 08:20 (#3701072 - in reply to #3700952)
Subject: Re: ? about hauling manure on snow. Is it legal?

Well MCatSHF why isn't it ok to spread pen pack, solid, semi-solid manure and what did he do wrong if he didn't spread by a waterway or in a possible place where it could run off? Some of this has gotten to be a joke, Idaho has the rule only for dairymen to not spread liquid manure on frozen ground in the winter, but a cow/calf man can do it if nobody complains and it never reaches a waterway. Dairy must keep track of loads to each farm, plus do soil tests. But Beef guys don't have to. The whole reason is the state would have a hard time trying to enforce beef, but dairy's are of a smaller numbers so they inspect them, and lagoons.

I'm fine with inspections, but why make a dairy or beef operation keep soil tests, but we never inspect or make any crop farms do the same. I will tell you right now there is potato and grain farms that will put way more in fertilizer on yearly than some dairy's or beef operations, but we don't test them. That rule isn't fair. It was just done to appease the vocal minority out there against agriculture. When you start painting with a broad brush that all manure application is bad well I have a problem with it. I will agree we never want runoff to waterways, and like one poster said the spreading window is so small in spring time in some areas it needs to be done in winter to keep up.

Also in our area, we have what is called the frost law, so when it warms up and you can spread, well we can't get on our roads because of fear of road breakup. And I'm the first person that doesn't want our roads broken up in spring, so it is far better to spread in winter time if snow allows us to run. So it really limits the amount of time to get manure on fields in time to plant, we really only have a good two to three week planting window here so that shoots you in the foot as well. Every area is different, no two areas are the same, thus the problems when we paint with a broad brush these types of rules.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)