AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

There is info on cover crop economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmerbk
Posted 1/19/2019 19:12 (#7257012)
Subject: There is info on cover crop economics

Seymour, IL
did not want to hijack the thread below, but there is information on cover crop economics; the ability to look at costs and returns over the short run as well as the long run.

There is some interesting discussion in regards to the value of topsoil. One of the best articles I have seen is written by Dr. Mike Duffy from Iowa State
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/crops/html/a1-75.html

too often, people want to put a higher intrinsic value on topsoil than what may be economically supported. To use a different example, water is critical for life...we cannot live without it. Diamonds are a rock that is mined and utilized in jewelry. So why are diamonds more valuable than water? I would suggest scarcity. Even though diamonds are not required for life, there is less diamonds than there is water.

There is an excel spreadsheet that allows you to look at different costs, returns, and timeframes to be able to see the impact on your operation, as well as discussion of multiple soil health topics
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/il/soils/health...

There is alot of discussion of reducing herbicides, fertilizers, and other inputs through the use of covers. Much of this information and data is anecdotal in nature....leaving it unable to be applied beyond the individual case it comes from. I have seen several studies that show positive economics return in the short run from covers that can be utilized by livestock, some that quantify the weed reductions. I feel that many of the questions around soil health can be summarized as:

Empirical data is critical (and we don't have alot of it) (Quantitative Data)
We need replicability, scalability, and reliability
This type of information is the baseline for the ability to make recommendations and allow for informed decisions. Basis of scientific studies.

Externalities….both positive and negative are important to recognize. However by their nature, are not well defined.
Will be difficult, if not impossible to measure, quantify, and monetize

Unfortunately, too much of the data we currently have on cover crops and soil health practices is anecdotal in nature. (Qualitative Data)
Great for proof of concept
Does not allow results to be extended beyond the demonstration itself

cheers
bryon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)