AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

There is info on cover crop economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 1/20/2019 08:05 (#7258009 - in reply to #7257012)
Subject: RE: There is info on cover crop economics

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
I have been trying to get UT to do a study on it for years. I guess the Soil Conservation Service don't pump enough money into their system. I have been using the No Till method for years, and multi species cover crops since 2007. We have been grid sampling our farm since the late 90's and saw an amazing discovery in 2009. Our fertilizer bill had decreased a little. We give credit to grids, placing it where it was needed. In 2011, it was reduced by like 30%, Now we are wondering if we were getting enough to properly supply our crop with nutrients. Despite a severely dry summer, crop yields were stable. In 2013 our fertilizer use was only 30% of what it was in 2007. It has stabilized now, we basically are applying P&K to areas of land that had been exposed to flooding years prior, when tillage was used. These soils have low O.M, and very low CEC's, (1.5 to 2.5). What is amazing is in 2009 one particular field had an average OM% of 1.7, in 2017 it averaged 2.6. This is encouraging!!!!! Im not preaching cover crop use, im testifying!!!!!
We use a minimum of 3 way mixes, every year on every field. We treat our covers like a cash crop because they are!!!! We chase the combine with a drill in the fall. If conditions don't allow, the plane will fly quickly. It was almost a trade off at first, seed in place of fertilizer, but it slowly began to save money here. After 5 years the soil became resilient to dry weather and also compaction. Weed control is easier, and the longer we stay in it the less we need planter attachments. I have fields that haven't been touched with nothing other than a planter/ drill since the early 2000. They allow penetration of planters with minimal down pressure, even when we are very dry. Also the resist tracking from wheels of the sprayer when we are a little wet. The yields keep increasing!!!!
The whole system has to be taken into consideration to do economics. Then drive by the fields after a heavy winter rain and see clear water draining off your fields, then decide how to put a dollar amount on that!!!!

Seem either people love it of hate it, it takes years to see benefits, and you have to work at it.

I sure wish someone would do a study on the "system" for a minimum of 5 years, preferably 10, The economics would amaze a lot of people, and the practice would be widely adapted. IMO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)