AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

There is info on cover crop economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 1/21/2019 08:53 (#7260790 - in reply to #7258753)
Subject: RE: There is info on value of top soil

Clark SD

jbgruver - 1/20/2019 11:49

Now I am curious... Mike, if you don't mind sharing, what did my article explain that you were wondering about? :)

Joel
WIU Agriculture

Joel, due to my outdated operating system (windows XP) i was unable to down load your article, so all i can do is go by your summary.
 For some reason the the areas with the thinner topsoil are holding more water now than they us to. I never paid much attention to it untill about 4 years ago when i noticed that in those areas the crop seemed to hang in there longer when it got dry out.
 We have been continous no-till since 1992 with a rotation of corn-beans-spring wheat-cereal rye for the most part on our dryland acres along with some alfalfa. So not much for cover crops untill after the rye harvest where we let the volunteer rye grow and plant corn into that the following year. Once in a while we will plant some radishes and forage sorghum into the rye stubble for the cattle to graze on.
 That along with some cattle manure is our system so to speak. 
 So with all that said, along with the summary of your paper, it seems to all make sense.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)