AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 9/23/2017 14:23 (#6265495)
Subject: Early planted soybeans (benifits/negatives)

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Cut some of my beans the last 2 days. Planted around May18-20th. Been hearing yield reports of April planted beans and they are beating all the May planted bean yields. Dad, my neighbor, and I were talking while working on dad's combine about the yields of such. I asked them if they had ever had any real negative experiences with early planted beans? Both of em really considered it and agreed that some of their best bean yields have came from early planted at times (when they had extra labor one or two days and the bean drill was hooked up and some ground was dry).

My fathers and I's logistical and equipment situation is that we each own 30' planters. His is a 30" 12 row and mine is a 30' split row planter.
Added together we farm 1500 acres. I work full time but my job allows me to be around roughly 1/2 the time in the spring. What we've done in the past is set both our planters up for corn and hammer it out together, then switch my planter to beans and plant all the beans with it. We did some upgrades to dad's plamter to where it is a nicer corn planter, so before we would both choose my Kinze if only one was needed for that day (if I was as work for instance or if he had ground ready and I did not).

What I'm wondering is the opinion of some if I should just leave my planter set up for beans and dads for corn and his planter plant all the corn and mine plant all the beans when we have 2 operators?

I almost feel we are leaving more yield on the table by planting beans later then we are if some of our corn isn't all slammed in early...

What be the general consensus?

Central Indiana 1/2 corn 1/2 beans operations
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)