AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean seed Germ
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

IowaFarmer20
Posted 5/20/2022 21:37 (#9668532)
Subject: Soybean seed Germ

NW IA
So I picked up my soybean seed beans and the tag says 85% germ. We normally plant 140k but as we were getting loaded the salesman comes out and says their independant test came back at 74%. So he wanted me to bump population up to 155k to compensate. Said they took another sample to confirm but told me "it should be fine". I asked how long till second sample comes back and says a week to 10 days, just go ahead and plant. We go plant the beans and last week salesman comes out to do a stand count and only comes up with 82-87k. Now we have a mess. What did come up is "Uniform" with no big gaps, but basically got a 53% germ. What I'm curious about is do these seed companies have to certify their germ? Is there a standard they have to meet by a a seed organisation/regulator? Right now they basically said we'll give you half your seed for free but in my eyes that doesn't seem like enough? I bought and paid for what I thought was 85% germ beans and got 53%. ISU extension has ruled it to be the seed germ and seed company agrees from scouting. So no blame on chemicals/crusting/planter. Everyone agrees its a germ issue. What is a fair compemsation? Seed company says can get me more seed to try and thicken up population, but being so dry I don't know when they'll germinate and don't mismatched beans. Maybe I'm over thinking the replanting?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)