AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble 332 XP - NMEA to GS2 Problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

brahe
Posted 3/10/2010 00:34 (#1113332)
Subject: Trimble 332 XP - NMEA to GS2 Problems

NC IA
Wanting to send NMEA from a Trimble 332 running on OmniXP - ( pretty sure it's 3.57 firmware - connected to Insight/AutoPilot) to a JD GS2 (latest software for sure there). GS2 came with the planter - retrofitted into non-GS ready JD 8310 tractor using Universal Harness - will use it for VR planting and documentation only. Insight/AutoPilot was already installed in tractor so trying to make use of dollars already invested.

Have tried lots of combinations with no luck. Can hook a JD Starfire to the GS2 and it gets GPS immediately, but that's not the answer we're looking for at this point.

PF90363 harness is installed correctly on GS2 main connector. Have tried both COM1 and COM2 with no success. Pins are seated. We changed the setting in the GS2 to tell it to expect Serial GPS on the correct port when we switched between COM ports. Currently wired/set to COM1.

Using standard Trimble laptop Power/Data cable. Have tried it connected to both Port A and Port B on the 332 with no success. Currently hooked to Port A. 332 Port Settings: I: TSIP 38K4 8N1 O: NMEA 19K2 RTS/CTS Out: ON GGA, GSA, RMC only NMEA strings turned on. NMEA Out:ASAP TSIP Out:ASAP NMEA Quality: Report True Quality. Data looks correct when I hook the cable up to Hyperterminal on a laptop.

Both 9 pin connectors (JD and Trimble) are female. Have tried above settings with JD supplied Gender Changer in line to allow cables to mate. No success. Have tried above settings with an Ag Leader Null Modem in line with no success (switches pin 2 and 3 which if I'm reading the documentation correctly needs to be done - Trimble TX is on 2, JD is expecting data on 3).

Thoughts:
1. We have a bad PF90363 cable. Doubt it, but possible. Either that or we don't have the TX/RX on the right pins yet - maybe bad gender changer? Pretty sure the signal ground is OK either way but that's a possible problem too.
2. Something in the NMEA string from the 332 on XP is different than what the GS2 is expecting which is keeping it from allowing it to interpret the NMEA data. I have tried switching the 332 to WAAS without success, though, so that would lead me to believe that's not the problem.
3. Something with the NMEA Quality or RTS/CTS settings are causing problems with the data output similar to above.
4. Trimble firmware update would change NMEA output to something the GS2 can handle??? Doubtful.

It seems to me that this should be one of those things that "just works". It's not that complicated.....but it sure is turning out to be. Help/ideas from anyone that's tried this before would be greatly appreciated. Have had some great help with AMS and Ag Leader/Trimble techs already - thank you to them for the time they've spent so far.

Email is in my profile if you'd rather.

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)