AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog Finishing Expansion During Low Commodity Prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Abomb
Posted 9/18/2018 07:12 (#6994157 - in reply to #6992739)
Subject: RE: Hog Finishing Expansion During Low Commodity Prices

My thoughts the last couple years have been along the lines of grains are in the crapper, so everyone’s trying to figure out how to survive it. Then when it turns around and grains are good money they will hate every minute they spend in a hog barn when they could be out farming or playing at the river with their other grain farming buddies. Since you already have pigs you know what your getting into so it may be different for you. I’d just ask though, and be honest with yourself, if you were making good money on grains would you still be considering this? I don’t care what the answer is, you don’t have to justify anything to me. Just saying, if that’s the case grains WILL turn around eventually, and when that day comes you will still have to take care of pigs whether you like it or not. Someone was shaking his head at me raising pigs in ‘11, he told me how the best day of his life was when the hogs left, how he hates pigs, never wants to see another one in his life. Fast forward 5 years and he built a barn to custom feed pigs. So does he really want to do it? Or is it a last ditch effort to “save” the farm, and when things turn around hate it again?

Edited by Abomb 9/18/2018 08:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)