AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeback on best way to cash flow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

zfisher70
Posted 3/8/2017 10:43 (#5885754)
Subject: Feeback on best way to cash flow

VA
I'm in the process of buying a neighboring piece of pasture (52 acres) its rough and needs some serious work (price reflects it) fences are fine but they have been mowing the hay off it and then letting it come back ankle high and turn cattle in and leave on till following April. This process has been repeated for probably 20 years (guessing) They have been putting down some 19-19-19 after the cows come off I pulled soil samples and sent them off haven't got them back yet. I am currently at capacity on brood cows with the land I lease across the road so I am going to be purchasing about 15 to 20 more brood cows to put on this piece. But I was thinking about the first year purchasing heifer calves between 450 and 550lbs and turning on grass. What stocking rate could I run this land at its approximately 40 to 42 acres of open pasture ground and rest woods and some swamp. My thoughts were that I could purchase some heifers and co-mingle them with my fall calves that will be weaned at end of this month. I typically turn my heifers on grass and bang vac and pelvic score them all and cull whatever doesn't pass for disposition and pelvic score. I had thought that I might could do this with the purchased heifers as well because I only have 9 of my own this year. The ones that passed disposition and pelvic score would then be Ai'ed next fall with my home grown heifers and the ones that didn't pass would be sold with the opens or when grass runs out. Would this plan cash flow better than going ahead and purchasing bred cows and calving them this fall? I know there's more risk involved in it but I need a little bit quicker cash flow right now. Do you think I would make more money just growing them and selling as guaranteed open rather than guaranteed bred? The plan would be to sell them as bred not calve any of them other than my homegrown heifers out. Has anyone ever tried something similar to this? What kind of ADG can I expect from them on good grass and a little supplement? I typically either use a 3 way mix of corn, corn gluten and soy hulls a few lbs a day bucket fed or at some other pastures I have used lick tanks to supplement pasture. Any other suggestions are more than welcome
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)