AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

preachers who like to hear themselves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/22/2016 15:41 (#5650530 - in reply to #5649139)
Subject: the Catholic and Lutheran fued goes way way back

Aberdeen MS
I went to the most conservative Lutheran School for the first 8 grades. Wisc Synod.

Back then we were even instructed not to stand for the Lord's Prayer in the local MO Synod church. it was said word for word the same, and they even used the same hymnal as we did. It was basically just a different name on the building for all practical purposes.

When I got into high school, I was told by my parents, " we don't care if you date someone, just don't bring a Catholic home".

In the early 70's and aunt of mine was widowed. She found a nice Catholic gentleman that treated her like gold and her children like his own. My step father almost had a heart attack that she would disgrace the family by marrying a Catholic and what it would do to the children.

Move into the 80's, the WI synod church I belonged to asked at the annual meeting for ideas to increase traffic through the doors. I suggested an annual social gathering open to all like a few of the other churches did and continue to do. One of Elders spoke up and I quote "but do we do then if a Catholic wants to come?"

the two different religions were very very strong where I grew up.

But then, the seminary prep school and synod teacher college is only 25 miles away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)