AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Witching for ground water
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mccoyranch
Posted 7/28/2016 07:00 (#5436555 - in reply to #5435725)
Subject: RE: Witching for ground water

North Central Kansas
Those rods turn for me like they hit a brick wall. They turn for a reason, there is something down there. Finding lines is easy. Rods turn across going both directions. Phone lines will only throw one rod across. Water veins will cross going one direction, and go out when you walk the other way across the vein. As mentioned before, if you are under the Ogallalah aquifer it doesn't matter; there is water everywhere. For areas like mine under the old chalk ocean, we have to hit a vein.
If you get someone out to witch and they do crazy stuff or walk around like they are trying to sneak up on a rabbit, I would not put much stock in them. I start out in the pickup or a utv driving 15 mph. If the vein won't throw the rods at that speed, we don't need to drill. If they do throw them, I'll get out and walk it, measure it, and see how hard it pulls. Needs to pull enough that I can't hold the rods straight when pinching them tight. I also like to line up all information within a mile or two like old farmsteads, or neighbors that have a well that we know is good.
Is it a hoax? Well, it's not an exact science, but it's the best we have to see what's underground. My best answer to that question is with another question. Have you ever looked in a hand dug well. A 4-5 foot hole 60 feet deep. Do you think they dug 'test holes' ? I don't think so, men died in those wells. They had a good idea they were going to hit something.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)