AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The 80's then... The teens now
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 3/6/2016 02:29 (#5158146 - in reply to #5157812)
Subject: RE: The 80's then... The teens now

Strathcona, mn
No doubt, we are not in the 80's. I remember that well from my childhood. I wil say this though, those that say this isn't nearly as bad as "what we went through" have matured their operations and are in the age bracket of farmers that are nearing retirement. They have sound operations by this point of their careers. Down prices will not add to their net worth but probably won't hurt it too much either. The age bracket that this down turn is going to hurt are the younger operators, big and small. It's the ones with families and kids that are trying to get an operation uo and moving that are either hurting or going to be. The older guys with paid for land can ride this out without much issue. The young guy that borrowed to buy land and other capital improvements are feeling the pinch. So, yes this isn't the 80's to the guys that lived through it. It wasn't the 80's to the guys that were in their 60's without any borrowed debt in the 80's either. My grandfather went through the 80's fine. He didn't owe anyone anything. From what I can remeber, he and grandma were just fine while the younger neighbors dropped like flies. May not be much different this time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)