AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Saving back seed (wheat)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 2/10/2016 18:08 (#5102179 - in reply to #5091917)
Subject: RE: Saving back seed (wheat)

just a tish NE of central ND
NWNODAK - 2/6/2016 08:55

a4t-1600 - 2/4/2016 23:25

There are several things not being discussed in this subject------- I will start with what I feel is something the kids need to be brought up to speed on and that is the conditioning of the seed to be planted as well as vernalazation of the seed to be planted. Some seed conditioners that have length graders and the equipment needed to properly condition and treat wheat dont accept out side grain due to profits as well as fear of contamination of their product. Couple that with storage and then transportation to the cleaner and the cost of usually $1 per bushel to clean it sometimes is easier to just pull under the overhead and buy the bushels you need and not worry about bugs and storing it from harvest or the year before to be able to plant it you also need to figure in getting the weights on the saved wheat for crop insurance purposes. Then some areas as well as varieties need to get a cold spell to germinate properly even though it isn't as big of a deal as it was in the past with the older scout type varieties we see in the midwest.

Also in my area the newest hottest varieties are sometimes in limited supply enough they only go to seedsmen that are members in good standing of that states crop improvement association. Then there will be a limited amount of the seed. If you only buy every 4 or 5 years those better varieties will go to the yearly guys. When I had people living on the farm I stored wheat for seed but after they left I quit due to theft issues and if I left it on a trailer I had to store it and be out of the use of the trailer until I got it cleaned I buy every year due to that. . So the simple logistics of a one man gang having to load and then take it to be cleaned after a germination test just got to be to burdensome and time consuming

What no mobile cleaners in your area?? We have guys come right to the farm and clean it right out of our bin into our trucks.

Fewer and fewer Mobil guys here, its dying business here Just about no elevators in the 100 mile radius of me will clean seed anymore either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)