AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa Pollination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Clay SEIA
Posted 8/1/2015 00:06 (#4710485 - in reply to #4709246)
Subject: RE: Iowa Pollination

Dude, I totally agree and have no problem with the post you made that started this whole thread.  It was your later statement that the heat during pollination was the worst in years that I took issue with.  Corn can successfully pollinate in much hotter weather.  I think you have compounding agronomic issues of some sort which have combined to give you some disappointing pollination.  If you wish, I'll come up for a crop scout and we can "peel some ears back" for my "exspurt" opinion.  

Here's my deal.  I've been in the armpit of the state for too long, and I've been burned by looking out my back door and thinking that is how everybody else is going to yield, or how the market should react, or whatever.  So, I go digging for official weather records.  I sift through NASS yield data.  I like to talk about data which is available to anybody with a simple internet search.  Last summer, I was told by a poster in SWIA that his corn crop burnt up in August of 2004, and that the 2014 crop was going to be a wall of corn like nobody had ever seen because the temperatures were so cool.  Only problem is, by official data August 2004 was the coolest of the previous 20 years in that region.  And the 2014 corn crop was 9 bpa below the record for that district. I'm really not trying to pick on anybody, I just don't like to see statements made that cannot be quantified.  Sometimes I post things on this website that somebody can shoot holes in, too. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)