AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

making your own pork sausage, what seasonings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

LakeRat1
Posted 1/29/2015 19:48 (#4348178 - in reply to #4346323)
Subject: RE: making your own pork sausage, what seasonings

Concordia Parish La.
We always spread out our meat add 1/2 the seasoning, toss & mix it them add the rest, toss& mix, then we grind it 2 times through a Chile chop plate, (Large Holes about 3/8 in.) then depending on its Breakfast Sausage we stuff in in 1# meat bags, we do this with the grinder with knife & plate removed, and a large 2 in. spout on the grinder, the machine fills the meat bags, placing it in Meat Bags it does not get any air and will keep lot longer >< if we are going to make smoke sausage, we do the same as for the meat bags, and stuff the casings from the grinder, doing it this way the sausage goes through the machine 3 times and the seasoning is mixed very well, I might add if you are filling 1# meat bag from a size 32 grinder a foot switch really makes it a lot easer, it will fill a 1# bag in just a couple seconds,

I have a Old Commercial Grinder that was made before the Stainless Steel Days, the meat pan will hold 50# of meat, most of the time when we are making sausage we get a couple families together and make all the sausage we need for the year, our smoke house will smoke 250# at on time, we make our smoke sausage in links, about 6 or so in. long, once its smoked we wrap in in tight bundles, either 2 or 4 links to a bundle, 4 links will be just about 1 #, by wrapping it tight in handy wrap you don't leave space for freezer burn, keep it froze hard it will last a year, We don't smoke our Italian sausage, we made sausage last week, after it was all said and done >< it cost us $ 2.08 per pound, that's the Meat, Seasoning & Casing, I am able to order boneless Boston Butts, that really speeds up the show, not having to remove the bone >< I use to cook down those bone and make a batch of Hog Head Cheese ( Souse ) to Some

Here is a shot of the Smoke House as we are Loading it up >< that Not me, a couple of My Nephews

Edited by LakeRat1 1/29/2015 19:58

(100_3315.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_3315.JPG (111KB - 270 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)