AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops-Guys NCIowa and Southern MN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nlegler
Posted 8/28/2014 18:16 (#4043575 - in reply to #4042456)
Subject: RE: Cover crops-Guys NCIowa and Southern MN

NC Iowa

We have tried a couple different ways.  Spinner after harvest and normal fall tillage... horrible winter stand but come spring decent-good (do this for the "manure" value + spring bale).  This year we just flew on a mix beginning of the week into corn with the rain we might luck out and get some decent growth I'll be sure to post pics as it progresses.  The idea this year is there will be some no till beans come next spring into the corn stalks + cover and some no till beans into just corn stalks.  Other part is fall strip till into just corn stalks and fall strip till into corn stalks + cover crop where next spring will be corn.  Then there will be conventional tillage into what we baled rounds off of so no residue and no cover crop and then conventional tillage cover+corn residue which will be corn next year.  If anyone is in the area come next spring or even after this fall ( area is south east kossuth county) let me know and be happy to show.  It was a last minute decision between dad and I to try breaking out of the neighborhood mold of every year doing the same thing. Who knows since it'll be right on 17 lol might look smart or might look not so smart

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)