AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeder cattle lot economics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

countryraised
Posted 7/31/2014 07:27 (#3994503 - in reply to #3993152)
Subject: RE: feeder cattle lot economics

NE Iowa
GrainTrader, my opinion, rethink the cattle, You work in town full time, and have a young family correct? do you want to see them more than a few hours a week?
My personal experience, I work full time in town, crop farm 200acres, and last year had 20hd cow/calf operation, I have plenty of pasture and facilities and equipement(all at family farm 6 miiles from my house). BUT have a young family, my boys are 2&4 now. if you want to see the family you can't do it all when they are that age. I thought prices were doing good last fall and sold out. I love farming and having the cow/calf deal but was not seeing them at all during the week with working in town and doing cattle and crops after work. I will buy cattle again when the kids are a little older and can do more with me. But when the wife is calling you and the kids are on the phone asking when you will be home almost every other day, something has to give, so I let the cattle go, would have made alot of money the next couple years, but would not have seen my kids either.

Edit to add, I do like cattle and think if you can make it work they are a great thing, but it sounds like they would take a lot of your time putting together the infrastructure and equipement to make it work, and if they are not on your home place it takes even more time.

Edited by countryraised 7/31/2014 11:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)