AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NEED OPINIONS!!!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SEKPumpkinFarmer
Posted 7/24/2014 06:40 (#3983293 - in reply to #3983186)
Subject: We farm over 8500 acres....

SE KS
with one hired man. My brother, dad, hired man, and I will grow 2500 acres of corn, 3000 acres of wheat, and 3000 acres of double crop beans. We hire some truck drivers part time during harvest. Otherwise us 4 do it all mostly because FINDING GOOD HELP IS IMPOSSIBLE. Pay the 19 yo good. He will be worth the help. One thing we do when it slows down is guarantee the hired man 35 hours a week. I would rather pay him to sit at home with nothing to do some in the winter than lose him and try to find a replacement.

As far as cows, wife and I do all of that work. I only have 125 head of cow/calf so I can do most of the chores early in the morning and lots of weekends worked. Dad and brother usually don't do much on weekends.....that's when I get most of my cattle work done.

Used to own a pick your own pumpkin patch (hence the name) and we would have 5000 people come thru in Oct. Had to quit that because it took way too much time and couldn't find people to run it during bean harvest.

I like long hours (but 90 week in and week out would suck) , wouldn't have it any other way. I would hate a 40 hour week job. You need some time off, at least a few hours a day. You deserve it.

Good luck. Again, hire him and pay him well.

Edited by SEKPumpkinFarmer 7/24/2014 06:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)