AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NEED OPINIONS!!!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 7/24/2014 00:26 (#3983186)
Subject: NEED OPINIONS!!!!!!

Beresford, SD

Boys I'm at a cross roads, am I inefficient or just CHEAP.   Farm 900 acres and got just shy of 1280 hd of cattle on feed.  95 acres alfalfa (dry hay)-+ 40 acres grass to put up, chop all my own silage, cut - bale all my own hay, haul my own crap, grind my own hay, basically I don't hire any livestock work related activities done.  I run the planter in the spring (2300 acres with dads, mine and custom.)  dad does all spraying and harvest is the same as all of the rest of you....Hammer down.(full family effort)   I have been just hiring high school help ($10/hr.) And he is great help!!!!!!!!  However he starts fall camp for football  AUG. 14.  Old high school help.....now 19 years old wants to come back FULL TIME.  I am a tight ass but am getting sick of working 90+ hrs a week.......getting burned out.    I let current high school kid do chores last night so I could take son and a few of his friends up to get helmets and pads for JR. football last night. and he did a great job........Wondering If I warrant a full time hired man.......dad said during harvest he would cover crop related hrs.  Am I just cheap or is a full time guy warranted.....I need a break from chores at least one weekend a month. My dad has had his fill of feeding cattle (35 Years worth at his place) and has nothing to do labor wise at my place other than order buying all my calves. Thoughts PLEASE.

P.S.  I post this late a night because I'm eating supper now!  Not an early bird.....but typically leave house between 8 and 8:30 and make it back in some where between 11 and midnight......

Edited by carlsoncl 7/24/2014 00:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)