AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Free AV -- hot off the presses
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 10/1/2009 19:24 (#867294 - in reply to #866824)
Subject: Re: Free AV -- hot off the presses

Ed Boysun - 10/1/2009 09:17

Another thing: When is the last time you installed a major piece of software that didn't require at least one system re-boot? I didn't catch this when I installed on my laptop but when I did my desktop, the stuff installed, went to the web for def updates, scanned, and then reported the system was protected! No re-boot required!

My son used to observe that Windows was like a cat: "I have worked, now I must sleep." Seems you could do very little that didn't need a re-boot. This recent behavior change shows what happens when a program has full access to the OS kernel. I expect the competition to howl like a wounded tomcat over this, but it sure makes it nice for the users.

Oh, Ed. You have officially caught a glimpse of the Mac OS user experience. I was reading your post and kind of chuckled when you asked when the last time he installed software without rebooting. I can't remember having to reboot since, oh, about March of 2007 when my Mac Mini arrived by UPS. The only reboots I have are major software updates of the OS itself. Never have to reboot on software installations.

You appear almost giddy over that improvement - but once again, MS is coughing up dust it has been eating.  ;)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)