AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire Fighting Question - Foam or CAFs in wildland applications
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Nickeischeid
Posted 3/1/2021 21:38 (#8867078 - in reply to #8867005)
Subject: RE: Fire Fighting Question - Foam or CAFs in wildland applications

North central TX
Sharp rig. We use foam just premixed into the tanks on all our brush trucks in volunteer dept. here. We use all stainless plumbing and have anodes on everything to prevent the foam from eating everything that isn't stainless. It works really well. I've been on over 10 years and we've never had a failure or even a leak.

At my paid ff job, we have two brush trucks and they have cafs on them but we can never keep them working right. We don't use them a lot and almost never use the cafs but they are still always in the shop with cafs issues.

Personally, given my experience with them and a couple pumpers with it I'd avoid the extra hassle and maintenance and stick with either a direct injection foam system, or set up a system capable of handling batch premixing like we have here in town.

If you'd like more info on how ours are built I'd be glad to send some pictures and info on what we use. The chief "built" them all and has the itemized parts list for each one(he's built or GC'd 5 now). My email should be good in case I lose this thread in the mix.

I'll add, if you are thinking that you'll be able to save water and weight with cafs on a pump and roll rig, you'll be disappointed. The compressor and all the accompanying stuff is at least as heavy as any water you might not have to carry making it a wash...

How big of a truck are you guys looking at using? We've got 2-F550 carrying 500 gal, 2-F750 with 850 gal, an older C6500 with 1000 and recently were gifted a 5 ton 6x6 with 1000 or 1250

Edited by Nickeischeid 3/1/2021 21:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)