AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6nz owners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JD 9400
Posted 3/2/2021 23:32 (#8869389 - in reply to #8869360)
Subject: RE: 6nz owners

Southern Pa.
Farms With CASE - 3/3/2021 00:00

On a rather long HARD pull uphill tonight I lugged the crop out of it at 1400 rpm. Max 20 psi and it never hit 900 on the pyrometer. I can only assume pyro is correct. Sure seems like it is not getting enough fuel or I am not getting enough boost. I would venture to guess this 475 Cat would not walk away from the old 350 Big Cam as it is right now. It just does not impress me on the tough spots on a route I've taken 100 times and know very well. If this is as good as a 475 Cat gets they aren't anywhere near wh as t everyone says. I did adapt to the low rpm band, low range shifts are below 1500 and high range is below 1600. But I have tried to run her out just because and over 1600 there is nothing left. It falls on its knees.
So I may be expecting too much or there may be a legit issue. Hoping there is an issue because I was looking forward to having all that hard pulling torque these Cats supposedly have. The misfire or backfire or pops through the exhaust when reed over 1700 are kinda making me scratch my head. First thought on those were electronic governor causing it but when I hit 67 mph and the speed governor kicked in it just shut off. No exhaust notes. As soon as I hear what shop says I'll report back

20 psi at 1400 rpms on a hard pull isn't right for a 475. That would be about right for a 350. With stock Cat programming they do tend to "wean off" at lower rpms than a similarly rated Cummins. The powerband is different than an older Cummins. But the 475 hp rating on a 6NZ is rated at 1800 rpms. If it's falling on it's face bad above 1600, you have a problem for sure. Also, with a 475, in these kind of ambient temps, you should be pushing high 20s on boost on a good pull at 1400.

I've heard fellows complain before about "popping" sounds in the exhaust on a 6NZ, but I don't remember what the issue was. Definitely not normal.

Get the issues ironed out, and it will leave a stock 350 Cummins in the dust!

I hope you get it figured out soon, I'll be watching for your report! Don't give up yet!

Good luck to you!

(Edited to add) I have a Nephew with an IH 9370 triaxle dump with a good running Redtop N14 525 hp. In Pa, he can legally gross 73k. With our 379 Pete and dump trailer, we can legally gross 80k. We were hauling corn last fall out of a field near Gettysburg, Pa; which is one county East of our area. He was grossing around 75k, we were grossing 85 to 88k. We were hauling this corn back to a large poultry farm in our area, crossing a Mountain known as "South Mountain" Our 475 hp 6NZ (wink,wink) would leave him in the rear view mirror every time. There was no way he could stay with us.

So take heart, that 6NZ engine is very capable!!

Edited by JD 9400 3/3/2021 02:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)