AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement for pellets in shell corn/pellet diet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 2/19/2021 14:38 (#8844887)
Subject: Replacement for pellets in shell corn/pellet diet?

SC Wisconsin
I love my shell corn and pellet in a stuffer program for holsteins. That being said, I was talking to someone today that knows more markets than I do and they are saying all commodities are going to go nuts with kind-of a perfect storm going on. Anyways, has anyone switched from feeding pellets to just getting say sbm, mineral, ionophore, urea etc and basically mixed the ingredients of the pellet with shelled corn and made a cheaper diet? I'm not sure of all the ingredients off the top of my head, but you get the gist of what im saying. I called my feed guy today to ask when they expect the pellets to go up and how much, but he didn't get back to me yet. Im currently feeding sirloin builder from vita plus. I really like the results, and seeing as I sell atleast 100 fats a year privately, I dont want to give up end results trying to save a couple bucks. At $2.40 hanging weight ill continue buying the higher priced feed in order to meet my customer's expectations, but if I can maintain finish, marbling and taste on a cheaper ration that would be money in my pocket. I am only really interested in continuing to use stuffers at this point, and I'm alittle worried that if I go away from the pellet that I will have too much inconsistencies in the stuffer from the finer ingredients separating from the whole corn.

Edited by jcolli140 2/19/2021 15:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)