AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replacement for pellets in shell corn/pellet diet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 2/20/2021 09:59 (#8846433 - in reply to #8846013)
Subject: RE: Replacement for pellets in shell corn/pellet diet?

SC Wisconsin
I tried a generic pellet once but wasn't really impressed by it, considering they didn't have Tylan or rum in with it so I had to add it into the mixer. I don't think it was getting distributed enough in the mixer and when you fill the stuffer it would concentrate into the middle again. They weren't that much cheaper because atleast the mill i get my pellets from now doesn't charge delivery on top of product cost, plus the extra cost of adding the tylan and rum back in. I know burdick has a mill custom make pellets for him, I may reach out to him to get info on that.

Yes I'm getting the premium because of being hard fed, not so much the specific diet. I dont know if feeding silage is going to give me the results that I want. Im not sure on what i want to do with that silage deal or if I even want to tackle it in the first place. Sure its an opportunity to expand, but if it ends up being a big pain trying to get rid of it or having to change my whole operation around to justify it then it doesn't really make sense. I have always wanted to do some high moisture or snaplage for alot of reasons, but I don't know if if that would be early enough for him. In a perfect world I would do whole corn and pellets to 5-600 pounds and then go with a hot tmr after that.

I know he really wants someone to do wheat on it because that is middle of summer, but its hard to make wheat pencil. I do buy q fair amount of straw for bedding, and with wheat getting more rare all the time in our area its bringing a premium anymore. Might explore the possibility of say half wheat and half corn silage or sudan and rotate that way.

Who or where is we Eastland mill?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)