AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap feed opportunity? Or is it a bad idea?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 2/19/2021 08:08 (#8844014 - in reply to #8841273)
Subject: RE: Cheap feed opportunity? Or is it a bad idea?

SC Wisconsin
My uncle has his own drag line crew as well, so he pumps all his own stuff plus dairy stuff in the area. I think they did around 90M gallons last year so they know what they are doing there.

As far as the N availability, we've noticed that too especially on the stuff that is applied right before we plant there is some streaking. Usually put down 20 units of N commercial, whether that's through 28 with the burn down or dry if other stuff is needed.

My uncle is fantastic to deal with, so while I know where you're coming from im not too worried about it. We've been working with him applying on our land for 30 years, although it's only been the last 20 that they have had a storage pit. Before that he just land spread when we didn't have crops growing and took it to the city treatment plant when he couldn't get in the fields.

I agree the feed is only cheap if I can use it, and this would happen next year at the earliest so I have time to think about it and plan ahead.

The pit is not covered, its a round pit with a ramp made by pipping concrete if you're familiar with them, they do a lot ofnthese pits for dairy here in Wisconsin. Its 16' deep and I think around 200' across but don't quote me on that. They have an agitation boat, a nuhn lagoon crawler and a lagoon agitator so plenty of tools to get it mixed well. They actually might go a little overboard when agitating, i know on the slurrystore they will bring a crane in atleast once per year to put the agitation boat in so that all the solids get out. Being short on storage they need to get as much out of the tank as possible, so between that and the 2 agitation guns they get it mixed pretty well.. They pull samples atleast 3 times when pumping the pit so they know what goes out there and its all GPS mapped with a flow meter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)