AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cheap feed opportunity? Or is it a bad idea?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 2/18/2021 06:43 (#8841273 - in reply to #8839414)
Subject: RE: Cheap feed opportunity? Or is it a bad idea?

Callao, Missouri
The food processor waste we use has a low pH, high in N, high in P, and very little K. So if we were planning to remove tons of dry matter, K and proper pH are key.

Equally key is the way it’s applied. Regularly applied by slurry wagon can wreck soil structure here, drag hose is much better.

Then there’s the issue of the availability/timing of the N. I know in our specific situation that supplemental N is still needed at times.

I’d be careful about this. Your uncle and you might have slightly different goals, his being to get as many gpa out there yearly and yours to raise the best crop. Sometimes those are not compatible and if he owns the land he gets to decide and you get to deal with it.

On the subject of cheap feed, it’s only cheap if you need it. Otherwise it’s a burden trying to get rid of it to get your money back. Kind of like going shopping and buying things you don’t need just because they are on sale.

Is this new concrete containment covered? If it is uncovered and shallow, a significant amount of N can be lost. Are they planning to agitate with multiple pumps when hauling out? If not it’s hard to get a good mix. For some reason our pumper guys claim it’s a lot harder to stir than manure. I still prefer the lagoon system though because with enough mixing you can have a consistent product and it’s easy to dragline it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)