AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Running out of time on Lime
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Allis4ever
Posted 2/7/2021 08:30 (#8812826 - in reply to #8812597)
Subject: RE: Running out of time on Lime

central iowa
1970EDITION - 2/7/2021 07:04

We picked up a couple of small farms recently that have not been farmed in many years, both have been kept mowed and the ground is smooth. Both are classified as HEL, so we do not want to do any tillage at all. Soil test came back with a 5.2 ph. We need to plant it in corn, but we are running out of time to get the lime down. Ground is saturated now, and will be for the near future. Are there some good options for getting a band of calcium down, that will benefit this year's corn? We are setup to apply up to 400 lbs of dry fertilizer 2×2 and up to 15 gallons of 32% on each side of the row. Insecticide boxes are not being used. We are limited to those numbers with the planter.
Thanks.

If you have a 5.2 ph you need to do some tillage in my opinion. Either get permission, or beg for it later lol. Not knowing what your buffer ph's are in your part of the country, but if you are willing to work it 6-7" deep (what most soil samples assume unless you told them something different) then put on what they say, work it in and don't look back.

A very highly respected soil guy from Iowa state University (who i believe did his doctorate work on lime/ph) said there is no reason not to put as much lime as needed to correct ph as long as you are tilling to the depth the rec is based on.

My opinion,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)