AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The worst of computer luck this month
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

TheGleaner
Posted 2/8/2021 02:06 (#8815496 - in reply to #8810332)
Subject: RE: The worst of computer luck this month

ND
Well aiming for mid range, pre built or home built, you get...a "ok" computer.

Aim for low to mid range high end, and then you'll get something. If you are fine with being a generation or two behind, you can get top of the line at a decent discount, new or used.

Take my home made machine for example: an I7-5930K, Top of the line Asus motherboard, NH-D15 Cooler, two 980s, and 6 Enterprise HGST HDDs. I bought the processor used when the 7000 series was debuting, the motherboard was basically a showroom model, the cooler...well is universal but a black Friday deal, the 980s were purchased when the 1000 and 3000 series came out, and with it running 64 bit windows 7, it is still very snappy, and all for under $1000, if I recall correctly it was something like $750. Its heyday was in 2014 or so. 7 years later, its still a good machine, ok by most standards.

I mean it's kinda like buying a Ford XL trim pickup and then looking at a Lincoln Pickup, when you could have bought a 2 year old Lincoln pickup for the same price as the new Ford XL. The XL will never be the Lincoln, it will always be an XL, where the Lincoln will be somewhat fancy and better for a while.(this is ignoring all mechanical differences, if there is any). The Lincoln will eventually become an equivalent to an XL, but most of the time by then you have already upgraded/updated.

Also...some programs will install some of their files on every drive, even if you instruct it not to. Also wiping and reinstalling the OS sounds like a PITA.

Edited by TheGleaner 2/8/2021 02:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)