AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The worst of computer luck this month
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 2/6/2021 08:08 (#8810499 - in reply to #8810365)
Subject: RE: The worst of computer luck this month

Good to hear from you Von.

I have actually never used cloning software so I’m not going to be much help. I used to have at least two partitions on a machine and I would store the OS on one partition and then all of the data on different partitions. There was still risk of losing stuff from a hard drive failure but I would try to back that stuff up elsewhere.

Then if I ever had a problem I would just wipe the OS partition and then re-install the OS and keep rolling. I was always lucky enough that I would notice something concerning and would preemptively replace hard drives before they failed.

Nowadays all of my critical stuff is shared across multiple devices and/or with multiple people so I use cloud storage for anything critical so I’m even less worried about losing stuff.

So in that context, unfortunately I have no suggestions on cloning. I’m sure it’s a great fit for some people and I used to be at least interested in it but as time has worn on, I have come to see computers as more of a necessary evil than an enjoyable pastime and I am no longer interested in things I don’t see myself using.

As far as acquiring Windows for your next computer, I have never purchased Windows 10 even though I have been using it on two computers since it came out. I have not upgraded Windows 7 licenses to Windows 10 licenses either.

I have simply downloaded Windows 10, made it into a bootable install USB and then installed it on the computer. When it asks me to activate it, I say later. After a few times it quits asking.

There is a watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that I really don’t even notice. I think it says “activate Windows” or something like that. You still get all of the updates because Microsoft has switched it’s model t where they value people being updated more than they value getting paid for their OS.

There are things you can’t do when you don’t activate. It’s harder to change your background. Maybe some other customizations are harder too, I don’t know.

When I originally installed it I thought I would eventually pay to activate it once I started using Windows more than Windows 7 but I haven’t booted into Windows 7 in years and Windows 10 hasn’t been paid for and I am using it fine.

Maybe that is bad of me but if they allow me to do it then I guess I’m going to keep doing it because the watermark and lack of customizations just does not bother me. I do give them money for other services they provide like Office 365.

Anyway, at the very least it’s not an urgent need to come up with a Windows 10 license. You can use your computer for a few weeks without a license and when you decide you like Windows 10 you can go into the menu and activate it and they will be happy to take your money.

Good luck! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)