AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low Carb and Keto: What about Cholesterol? From the "What I've Learned" web-site
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 9/12/2020 11:28 (#8490995 - in reply to #8484537)
Subject: RE: Low Carb and Keto: What about Cholesterol? From the "What I've Learned" web-site

Rolla, ND
Curious - 9/9/2020 07:01

Again, I don't have a link.

Only 12 minutes and the main thing I got out of it was the information on so-called seed oils. A lot of health presentations advise avoiding them but don't explain why in much detail.

The "What I've Learned" site has snappy graphics and short presentations if you don't have the time for longer form talks or interviews.

The seed oils are very interesting. The high omega 6 doesn’t cause initial injury, but does set one up for avmuch larger inflammatory response. Acute inflammation is good, helps with infections and healing. Chronic inflammation is very bad. Like most things it is trying to be in the right place.

High insulin levels are very inflammatory so if you mix high insulin from a carbohydrate diet along with high omega 6 seed oils, well things can go very bad.

With seed oils there is also a possible issue with the plant hormones. Certainly we have eaten those for a long time, but extracting them in seed oil is a very new thing. I would say we don’t know the effects, but there seems to be a bias towards assuming they are beneficial or neutral in the diet. Maybe it’s that 7th day adventist effect on nutritional advice coming through again.

There is also the concern with rancidity. If you consume oils high in polyunsaturated fats, you eill be eating more rancid oils and it seems they continue the same way in the body.

Strangely, dietitians seem to be taught that saturated fats are the ones that go rancid in the body. They don’t. Open bonds are what is easily oxidized.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)