AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low Carb and Keto: What about Cholesterol? From the "What I've Learned" web-site
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/9/2020 12:30 (#8485022 - in reply to #8484537)
Subject: RE: Low Carb and Keto: What about Cholesterol? From the "What I've Learned" web-site

Pittsburg, Kansas

If you page back through Kitchen Talk there have been a number of different threads on cholesterol. Basically as far as diet is concerned it is nothing to worry about. Saturated fat in the diet does not equate to saturated fat in the bloodstream like we have been led to believe for about 50 years ever since the Diet Heart Hypothesis which villified saturated animal fats.

As far as cholesterol in the blood the only real things to worry about are for the most part HDL and triglycerides. Specifically HDL should be high and triglycerides low. It used to be thought LDL should be low but many trials have shown it to be of no use other than if the level is extremely high a person might want to get a modern and thorough LDL particle count. Native LDL is not harmful and studies have actually shown the oldest living people tend to have high LDL levels, so it is essential for good health. Where the problem comes in is if the LDL is damaged (HDL can be damaged also). So what causes high damaged small LDL? Sugar and carbohydrates excessively consumed. Not the saturated fat we have been led to believe caused heart problems. The triglicerides to HDL ratio is important more than the absolute numbers.

Watch some Ivor Cummins presentations on heart disease to learn the science behind why cholesterol is not that big of an issue like we have been led to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ivor+cummins+cholesterol

Most of the "what I've learned" series are good. Kind of the "Cliff Notes" version where he compiles segments from many different experts on the subject.

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)