AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight won't power up, is the missing "power control relay" the problem?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/6/2020 14:07 (#8357469 - in reply to #8356890)
Subject: Using the old Garmin

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
How careful do I have to be plugging this Insight into my PF Advantage antenna/receiver? I am thinking this may be a Garmin or some other non Agleader brand, as I can find no name or model number on this antenna/receiver.The 9 pin connectors will mate if I remove the 2000986 "Adapter port 1 to Aux 1 cable" that was in the harness that I pulled from the CAN bus system donor combine. This is a 15 pin to 9 pin gender changing connector. While the cable will connect, the hardware to fasten them together will not, as both halves have screws in them, but I am sure I can work around that problem. I don't want to fry anything, but I would like to try this antenna as it always worked well with the PF Advantage. Another question I had about this antenna/receiver.......is there a chance the hertz rate could be too slow to work properly with the Insight?

You bring up some good questions concerning the GPS situation. I had a PF3000 and used a Garmin Model 17N GPS receiver with it. This was a long time ago. I believe the following to be true.

My Garmin came with no connector and only loose wires. There was a pair of wires for power and ground. There were at least 3 other wires for the GPS information. One is called Rx (Receive), another Tx (Transmit) and the third is signal ground. I soldered these wires into a 9 pin connector that mated with the 9 pin connector on the base of the PF300. Ag Leader followed the industry standards for the pin designations to a point. They deviated from the standard and have power and ground on pin 4 & pin 6. The GPS information uses pins 2, 3 & 5.

This my connection, power, ground and the GPS information all went through the 9 pin connector. Another way to have done this would be to run the power and ground wires to a separate connector of their own and the GPS information through the 9 pin connector to the Ag Leader. Later Ag Leader went to a 15 pin connector on the Advantage (I don't know why). Later still when the Insight came along they went back to the 9 pin connector which is wired like the PF3000. So a GPS that plugged into the PF3000 would plug in and work with the Insight.

If your Garmin connector with the adapter removed is all that is involved, it was likely wired as I did mine. If this mates with the Insight harness everything should be fine.

If your Garmin connector with the adapter removed has a connector for power and a separate 9 pin connector that would mate with the Insight harness again you should be fine but would need to provide key switched power and ground to the Garmin.

If the 9 pin connector on the Garmin is the same sex as the connector on the Insight harness you would need what is properly called a null modem gender changer. This will allow the two parties to mate and connects Pin 2 to the opposite Pin 3 and Pin 3 to the opposite Pin 2, Pin 5 goes to Pin 5.

You are concerned about "burning out the Garmin". As long as the power and ground are correct, no damage will occur even if the other pins are incorrect. If the other pins are incorrect, it won't work properly but you won't do any damage.

You ask if the Garmin will be too slow for the Insight. The answer is maybe. The Garmin is likely set for BAUD 4800, 8,N,1 with messages GGA and VTG only ON at 1 Hz.. The Insight will work with that but will complain if you should try to use it with certain other equipment such as planter or spray shut offs. I believe you are going to use this for harvesting so the slow rate is acceptable since the exact location is not so necessary for yield monitoring.

Back to the GPS connector. The old rule of thumb is if the two connectors would mate (opposite sex) then plug them together. If they are the same sex (both male or both female) then a null modem gender changer is needed. This changes the sex of the pins and criss-crosses some of the wires.

Edited by tedbear 7/6/2020 14:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)